Pasta alla carbonara is one of the most famous Italian dishes in the world.
How to cook real spaghetti alla carbonara?
It is very important to use the highest quality ingredients such as Parmesan, fresh eggs, guanchale (dried pork cheeks) and spaghetti.
There are also other well-known recipe options that use other ingredients, such as bacon.
Use our recipe to make the perfect pasta and get inspired to create your own version.
Italian spaghetti carbonaraCourse: Agrigento, Catania, Messina, Palermo, Syracuse, Trapani
An Italian dish made international by its fame
Egg yolk: 4
Pork cheek (or bacon): 100 gr
Parmigiano Reggiano (or Pecorino): 100 gr
Salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
- Put 1 liter of water for every 100 grams of pasta.
Salt the water once put on the fire. You must use a full spoon (about 30 – 40 grams of salt) for a pot with 4 liters of water.
It is good practice to use about 10 grams of salt per liter of water.
- After putting the water to boil in a pot, insert the spaghetti, when the water is already boiling.
While the pasta is cooking, dedicate yourself to the seasoning: cut the bacon into strips and brown it in a pan without adding anything else.
- Remove the egg shell and put them in a bowl, beat them lightly with a fork to mix the yolk and egg white.
Add the grated Parmesan, a minced black pepper and beat again to combine all the ingredients.
- Drain the pasta, which is not overcooked, and move it directly into the pan with the bacon and season with the fat released from the bacon.
- Transfer the pasta and the bacon to the bowl where the egg is and mix everything.
- Serve the carbonara pasta immediately, with a little black pepper and some grated Parmesan cheese to taste.
If you want to make an Italian happy, add pecorino cheese at the end and not the Parmesan cheese at the end.
- Recommended equipment: 1 bowl, 1 pan, 1 pot.
There are several ways to make up for the lack of certain ingredients.
As for cheeses, Parmiggiano reggiano can be replaced by pecorino or some Russian cheeses. The important thing is the cheese is dry, which can be grated and which leaves a similar flavor, such as Parmesan.
If, on the other hand, you do not have the opportunity to buy bacon, bacon or cooked ham is also fine, even if it has a more delicate flavor.
Avoid smoked pork.